I’ve mentioned before that I’m in two book clubs. Due to the pandemic, one hasn’t met for nearly a year – I’ve forgotten what book I was even supposed to read for the next meeting. The Pardon My Youth club is through our local library, and we’ve continued our monthly meetings through Zoom. The club focuses on YA books for the young and young at heart (ages range from 20s through 70s). It’s not your standard club where everyone reads the same book – we have monthly categories instead. This month’s assignment was to read a YA book published in 2020. I thought I’d give you a partial list of some of the books selected.
We enjoy having the freedom to choose different books, but occasionally a couple members have coincidentally read the same one and will give joint reviews. Most of us are also friends on Goodreads and the day after book club you’ll see several members adding titles discussed the night before to their TBR lists. Below are our categories for the rest of the year – you can see we’re committed to reading diverse books. I like being able to plan my reads for the rest of the year, and I always try to choose something from my backlist.
- February Pick Your Poison – Romance vs. Horror (of course I’m choosing horror)
- March Realistic Fiction Set Anywhere but the US, the UK, or Canada
- April Books Featuring a Found Family
- May Books By/About Latinx Folks
- June Pride Reads
- July Books Set During the Summer
- August Books With a Female or Non-Binary BIPOC as the Main Character
- September Banned Books
- October Retellings/Reimaginings
- November Books By/About Indigenous Peoples, First Nations, Peoples, or Native Americans
Maybe I’ve inspired you to create your own book club or ask your library to form one. Our club’s fourth anniversary is coming up in a few months, and most of us have been there from the beginning. In addition to making some wonderful bookish friends, it’s also helped maintain some sanity and continuity for all of us during 2020. Hopefully, my other club will be able to meet again this year – but someone’s going to have to remind me which book to read.
Hope you enjoyed a peek into one of my book clubs. Have a safe and healthy week!